Offered Salary 1000
Career Level Executive Management
Experience 8 Years +
Qualifications First Degree Bachelor
CARE seeks a world of hope, inclusion, and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and all people live in dignity and security. In Nigeria, CARE is seeking a visionary Country Director who will lead the Nigeria Country Office in pursuit of this vision. We place a particular emphasis on women and girls, their dignity, and empowerment to lead their communities out of poverty.
- The Country Director will have overall responsibility and leadership to ensure the relevance, impact, and cost-effectiveness of CARE International in Nigeria. S/he will represent CARE International (CI) in the country, guiding a relevant program strategy development and implementation, ensuring effective humanitarian capacity and timely response, leading operational planning, and overseeing financial, operations, and human resource management, including the safety and security of all CI staff and visitors in Nigeria.
- CARE began work in Nigeria in 2017 in response to the humanitarian crisis arising from the conflict in the Northeast. CARE is currently active in the 2 worst-hit states in the northeast (Borno and Yobe) and in the Northwest states of Bauchi and Jigawa, in the areas of Food Nutrition, Security & Livelihoods, Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights, Gender-based Violence Prevention and Response and Women’s Economic Empowerment.
- CARE Nigeria seeks to transform its organizational architecture to be rooted in Nigeria, inclusive of the voices of the most marginalized while staying aligned to CARE International global outcomes and approaches. It has been identified as a candidate for transforming into an independent local entity and national member of the CARE International confederation.
- The Country Director is expected to provide strategic leadership in the analysis, planning, and implementation of this organizational transformation.
- Representation and Relationships / Communication, information and public relations
- Development and Implementation of New Business Model
- Program Development and Implementation
- Country Office Strategic and Operational Planning and Implementation
- Country Office Financial, Budget and Administration Management
- Human Resources Development and Management / Safety and Security
- Ensure CARE’s stance on Protection, Sexual, Harassment Exploitation, and Abuse [PSHEA] is monitored and adhered to by staff, our Partners, and individuals/organizations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in appropriate Educational background and qualifications commensurate with the seniority of the position
- 8-10 years in senior management experience in international development and humanitarian assistance, in contexts similar to Nigeria
- Fluent in English (speaking, reading, and writing)
Skills and Experiences:
- Demonstrated experience in leading strategic and operational planning in a complex international setting
- Strong human resource management skills including capacity building, coaching, and conflict management
- Solid understanding of Nigeria context, including crisis context, development trends, private sector dynamics, and strong knowledge of key stakeholders
- Strong representation, influencing, and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated experience and management skills in business start-ups, change management, organizational development or equivalent combination and experience
- Demonstrated commitment to gender equality, diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Demonstrated self-awareness, leadership, and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge and experience with financial management as demonstrated by the ability to manage complex budget and ensure donor compliance and reporting